Everything you need to know about raising goats.
As with any animal, there is countless amounts of information to learn about goats. But what a delightful creature! Hardy and full of spunk, they provide companionship, milk products and cute kids! Enjoy our Goat IQ: Raising Goats page!
Goat Health at a glance:
• Temperature: 102.5 – 104
• Pulse: 70-80 beats per minute
• Respiratory: 15-30 per minute
• Rumen movements (Stomach): 1-1.5 per minute
• Puberty: 7 weeks to 8 months. At weaning (2 months), separate the bucks from does
• Full Growth Size: Goats will continue to grow into their 3rd year
• Estrus/Heat Cycle: 17-23 days
• Gestation: 143-155 days
• Life Span:
• DOES: 11-12 years on average, death is usually kidding related. Does who retire from breeding, around the age of ten, live longer (16-18 years).
• BUCKS: 8-10 years, the stresses of going into rut each year cause their life span to be shorter.
• WETHERS: 11-16 years on average.
Goat Care while Raising Goats:
Shelters and Fencing
• These are the shelters I built for my goats, with the winter months especially kept in mind.
• Follow this Pinterest board for more great ideas for housing and pens.
• This is the feeder I built for our goats to minimize waste
• Follow this Pinterest board for more great feeder ideas
• Follow this Pinterest board for more information on raising goats, goat health, care and maintenance
• You can also read more about the health and care of goats below in our Raising Goats resources
This is an ultra useful tool for any goat owner:
While I’m filling you up with things to read in your quest for goat knowledge, I bet you would also enjoy reading these as well: 5 Goat Lessons I Learned the Hard Way, Goats for Dummies Cheat Sheet, Fun and Profit in Goats
enjoy our recent “RAISING GOATS” posts